Thursday, May 12, 2011

A long time coming

OK, so I know this isn't exactly a political topic, but I still want to comment on the Presbyterian Church (USA)'s decision this week to finally allow the ordination of gay clergy within the 2-million member denomination. What took so long?
For the sake of full disclosure, I am currently a member of the United Methodist Church, and have been for a couple of years. But I was raised Presbyterian. I have been watching this debate unfold for many years. I'm glad it has finally gotten resolved.
I know the church's decision to allow gay clergy is a sensitive topic for many people. Many good, Christian people believe with all their might that homosexuality is wrong, that it is prohibited by the Bible. And even though society's stance has softened toward homosexuals in recent years, I have heard a convincing argument made that the church is supposed to be above society, to hold itself apart and separate. In most cases, I would agree. Except this one.
Critics of the church's move to allow homosexual clergy are simply wrong on a couple of points.
First, homosexuality is not a choice. It is hardwired. Think of it this way. What sane person would wake up one morning and say, "you know what? I think I'll be sexually attracted to my same sex today?" It just doesn't happen.
I have a multitude of gay friends. And in talking to them honestly about this, they have told me, to a man (or woman) that they have always known they were gay, that there's never been any doubt. What sane person would CHOOSE to be a part of a group that is so scorned by society?
Second, gays can be good Christians. Some of the most loving, accepting, Christian people I know are gay. If that's true, then why wouldn't God call gay people to serve him in the ministry? Does anyone really think God only calls straight people? That puts an unnecessary limitation on God.
God created gay people, just as he created straight people. They are simply a part of the breathtaking diversity in God's creation. Why, then, would he not call them to serve in the ministry? That doesn't make sense.
One of the things I have always enjoyed about the Presbyterian Church is its openness and its eye toward social justice. And whether we want to admit it or not, that's really what this is about. Just as slavery and Jim Crow racism in the South were wrong in the past (both of which were silently endorsed by the Christian church just a few generations ago), it is simply wrong to deny gay people with a sincere calling to the ministry the right to follow that calling.
The truth is, homophobia has been the last accepted form of bigotry in our society today, and it has been for awhile. Finally, the tide seems to be turning. I'm happy my church has seen the error of its ways and finally gotten on the right side of this issue.

No comments: