Saturday, July 26, 2008

An introduction

First, I guess I should start with an introduction. I'm 35 years old and live in Tennessee. As far as my politics go, I consider myself a moderate (although my mother always disagreed with me. She used to call me her son, the flaming liberal!)

Socially, I'm a liberal. I'm pro-gay marriage. (I agee with Dolly Parton on this one. If they want they pain and misery that marriage brings, they should have that right!) I'm anti-death penalty and mostly anti-abortion. Specifically, I don't believe abortion should ever be used as a form of birth control, but I'm undecided on the "big three" exceptions -- rape, incest and health of the mother. Certainly, I believe the decision should be made by both the man and the woman, but I don't believe a man should ultimately tell the woman what to do with her own body.

I believe in personal responsibility. I believe people should be able to do what they want to do with their lives (as long as it's legal and doesn't hurt anyone else). At the same time, people have to be willing to accept the consequences of their actions. They shouldn't be able to sue because of their own stupidity, and they shouldn't expect the government to bail them out. At the same time, I don't believe "government" is a bad word. I believe the government should help people who really need it, who can't help themselves.

There, in a nutshell, is my political philosophy and my philosophy of life. I hope y'all enjoy reading my thoughts and will respond. Happy reading!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But here's the big question?

What about doobies?

I say legalize the doobies.